1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Police Misconduct
  4.  » Police Misconduct FAQ

What To Do When Police Abuse Their Power

We trust police officers every day to do their job according to the right legal and moral standards. When they fail in this duty, it can be difficult to know where to turn. People are often in shock, and they don’t know who they can trust.

At Kennedy Law Firm, we use our more than 75 years of combined experience in civil rights law to help in these situations. We’ve compiled a few of the most common questions we get regarding police misconduct and their answers below.

What Is The First Thing I Should Do?

The best thing you can do is contact an attorney. There are important time limits for filing a lawsuit against a police officer. An experienced lawyer can walk you through the process, protect your rights and file your case in a timely manner.

What If A Police Officer Violated My Civil Rights?

Police are expected to follow certain rules when it comes to searches, seizures and arrests. If these rules are not followed, and someone’s constitutional rights are violated, evidence obtained in their case is affected. Any evidence obtained illegally can be thrown out, or its use can be limited in the case against you.

What Should I Do To Preserve My Right To Sue?

Always document everything. Request any audio or video evidence that could bolster your case. Municipalities and police departments may try to withhold this information, which is where an experienced attorney can help. We work to obtain all the supporting evidence you need and ensure that your case proceeds in a positive manner.

Contact Our Firm Today

Call our Albuquerque office at 505-431-2167 or reach out online to schedule a free initial consultation with a civil rights attorney at our firm. We work with clients throughout New Mexico.